Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Fairy Tale - The Three Little Pigs retold and illustrated by Barry Moser

The Three Little Pigs retold and illustrated by Barry Moser

Reading level: Baby to preschool

ISBN: 0316585440

Publisher: Little, Brown Young Reader

The story we all know, The Three Little Pigs retold by Barry Moser is another children book that I would like to read to all of my daycare children and recommend to all of you. I would like to use this book to introduce a lesson on the topic of learning alphabet- letter P . My aim in teaching this lesson is to help my students begin to develop the skill of sound recognition (phonemic awareness). In addition, I would also encourage them to paint or draw their own pigs and have them to think about the question "If there have been a windstorm that blew their house down, what will be the first thing they would do" ? I believe teaching ESL students (especially when they are in early childhood stage and still developing language skills) in a fun way through reading such a lovely, full of illustrations and well known children story will make it easier for them to learn English.

When the story starts out the mama pig would like her three little pigs to seek their fortunes in the wide, wide world. Each pig decides to set out on their travels alone and gets ready to experience their first adventure. Then, each of them builds his own house with different materials and tools - one out of straw, the next out of sticks and the last out of bricks. Unfortunately, while they are still seeking their fortunes, there is a hungry wolf which they have to encounter.

I like this story very much because it reminds me of a similar situation that happened to my aunt in Hong Kong when I was a little girl. Although there were no little pigs or wolf involved, there was a little house made out of old wood. As I remember, one night my parents and I were sitting in the living room trying to keep far away from the windows to avoid and protect ourselves from a bad storm, suddenly we heard someone knocking at the door and shouting "open, open". To our surprise, it was my aunt and cousins. After letting them in, we were told that their house was destroyed completely by the storm and the wind that came with it.

The situation that happened to those little pigs in the story, it reminds me of my aunt. Although her house was not destroyed or blown away by the wolf; but the strong winds and the outcome of their houses were the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment