Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Picture books- Peanut by Linas Alsenas


Peanut by Linas Alsenas
Age Range: 3-6
ISBN: 0439779804
Published: August 1st 2007 by Scholastic Press

I have read this book several times and I still love it very much. The cover of this book is just as attractive as the story itself. When I see this book at the bookstore, I know that I am not going to leave the store without it.

The story starts out with the old lady named Mildred who looks very lonely and sad. We then see her find as stray which she believes is a puppy. Since her "puppy" (which actually isn't a puppy - it's an elephant) was different from the other dogs because he couldn't roll over, fetch or bark but loves to eat peanuts, she named him Peanut. And now, Mildred is not lonely anymore. One day, a man came from the circus and told Mildred that her "puppy" belongs to their circus and he took Peanut away from her. Mildred once again becomes lonely and sad, sitting on the park bench and soon she finds a stray which she believes is a kitten. However, of course it is not.

I enjoy this book so much that I am not only read it to my daycare children, but I also read it to all the other children that I know as well. I love this book because it is a story about companionship and feelings. As I am the only child in my family, I understand how being alone feels like. Although I do not need a lot of attention nor require a great number of siblings and friends around me to be happy, sometimes I still wish for an older brother or sister whom I can talk to, play with and share my feelings with.

In short, I recommend this book to all of you because it is a fun story that will bring many joyful moments for both children and adults.







1 comment:

  1. Beautiful post, Joyce. I love the connection that you make about being the only child in your family. This provides a point of reference for your kids, no matter how young they are. I had the opposite, being one of four kids. So many times, I wished that I was an only child. This can be another way of getting your kids ready to listen. I see an improvement in your post this week Joyce. Thank you for paying attention to my comments and suggestions.

    ReplyDelete